Fly Fishing – Fly Patterns
Pheasant Tail Spratley
Hook: 14-6 Nymph Thread: 8/0 Black Tail: Pheasant tail fibers Body: Pheasant tail fibers wrapped Rib: Flat small silver tinsel Wing: Pheasant tail fibers. Legs: Pheasant tail fibers. Head: Peacock herl.
- Tie in pheasant tail fibers at bend of hook for tail. Don’t trim butts they will be used for body.
- Pull pheasant tail butts back and secure back with thread.
- Tie in flat silver tinsel.
- Wrap pheasant tail butts along shank, leaving just enough room for the head of the fly.
- Wrap tinsel over pheasant tail body and secure with thread and trim.
- Tie in pheasant tail tips underneath for legs. Legs should be about the same length as tail.
- Tie in pheasant tail tips out top for wing. Wing should extend well past the body and almost to the end of tail.
- Tie in 1 or 2 strands of peacock herl, make 3 or 4 wraps and secure with thread.
- Trim, whip finish, and head cement.