Fly Fishing – Fly Patterns
Elk Hair Caddis
Hook: 14-8 thin wire Thread: 8/0 Tan Body: Tan or brown dubbingHackle: Black saddle hackle clipped shortWing: Natural elk hairHead: Butts from wing
- Tie in 2 brown saddle hackles by their tips.
- Dub dubbing on to thread and wrap forward along hook shank, leave enough room for head of fly.
- Palmer brown saddle over the dubbing and then secure with thread.
- Trim brown saddle hackle short on top, bottom, and both sides.
- Use a hair stacker to even up the tips of the elk hair and then tie a clump in as wing.
- Trim butts to form a head.
- Whip finish and head cement.