Fly Fishing – Fly Patterns
Deer Hair Gomphus
Hook: 10-6 nymph Thread: 6/0 color to match body Body: Brown or Olive deer hair, spun and clipped to shape of Gomphus DragonLegs: Speckled pheasant Head: Spun deer hair, color to match body, clipped to shape
- Tie in a clump of deer hair, about the diameter of a pencil at the bend of hook.
- Push hair back and tie in another clump right against the first clump.
- Tie in a few more clumps until you reach 3/4 the way up the hook shank.
- Clip deer hair to shape of Gomphus body. Make sure to leave enough hook gap on the bottom of the fly.
- Tie in speckled pheasant out each side, extending back as legs.
- Tie in a few more clumps of deer hair for head.
- Whip finish and head cement.
- Trim deer hair head, to shape.