Fly Fishing – Fly Patterns
Blue Wing Olive
Hook: TMC 100 12-20 Thread: 8/0 Olive Tail: Blue dun hackle fibersBody: Medium olive rabbit dubbing Wing: Blue dun hackle fibers Hackle: Blue dun
- Tie in blue dun hackle fibers at bend of hook for tail. Trim butts and wrap thread up about 3/4 the way up the hook shank.
- Tie in 2 blue dun hen hackle tips facing straight up for wing. Wing should be about the same length as the body.
- Wrap thread back to bend of hook and spin on dubbing. Wrap dubbing forward just over half way up the hook shank. Body should get slightly thicker towards eye of hook.
- Tie in 2 blue dun hackles by their tips and wrap each each hackle separately forward to the eye of the hook, be careful not to wrap over the wings.
- Secure hackles at eye of hook and trim excess.
- Whip finish and head cement.